Our SENDCo is : Sarah Cox
She can be contacted at: Willows Academy, Queensway, Grimsby, DN37 9AT.
Contact Number: 01472 328013
AEP = Ruth Beckett
SEN AAB Member : Sarah Clarkson
Willows Academy prides itself on being a fully inclusive school and we believe that all pupils, regardless of their individual needs, should be given the opportunity to succeed in school life. Our team ensure that we are as inclusive as possible and we will endeavour to meet the individual needs of all children.
What is SEND?
This extract from the SEND code of Practise explains what the term Special educational needs (SEN) means:
A child or young person has SEN if they have a learning difficulty or disability which calls for special educational provision to be made for him or her.
A child or young person of compulsory school age is said to have SEN if they:
- Have a significantly greater difficulty in learning than the majority of others at the same age.
- Have a disability which prevents or hinders them from making use of educational facilities or a kind generally provided for others of the same age in mainstream or post-16 institutions.
A child under a compulsory school age has SEN if they fall within the definitions above or would do if special educational provision is not made for them.
The 4 broad areas of need are:
- Communication and Interaction
- Cognition and Learning
- Social, Emotional and Mental Health Difficulties
- Sensory and Physical needs.
Your child has Special Educational Needs, what can we offer you?
At Willows Academy, we embrace every child and their uniqueness. If your child has SEN, we will work closely with you to ensure that all of your child’s needs are met. Staff at Willows have received training to support the quality of the education they can offer and we work closely with the Local Authority to ensure that every child receives a high-quality education.
The LA Local Offer
The Local Offer provides information on what services, children, young people and their families can expect from the authority. Knowing what is available gives families more choice and therefore more control over what support is right for their child.
Local offer link – NELC SEND Local Offer | Home (nelincs.gov.uk)
The School Local Offer
Willows Academy utilises the LA local offer to meet the needs of the pupils with SEN as determined in our policy.
Please read our SEN information report for more information.
Special Curricular Arrangements
Willows Primary Academy is a fully inclusive school. A whole school policy on Special Educational Needs is implemented to cater for the individual requirements of these pupils. A child identified as having a learning difficulty will receive a personalised plan, with carefully planned targets set by the class teacher, parents, child and other professionals. These targets will be reviewed regularly and parents will be involved at all times.
All staff at Willows Academy celebrate individual talents or abilities in children.
SEND Remote learning provision
We are passionate about making sure all children can access remote learning, continue to make progress and receive support in line with their individual needs and targets.
Willows Academy recognise that remote learning can be difficult for all children but those children with SEN may experience more challenges. In light of this, we offer additional support for children and parents;
- A place in school is offered to all children with an EHCP
- Weekly check ins from our teachers with all children with SEN
- Additional zooms for interventions where appropriate
- The use of breakout rooms in zooms to support teaching and SEMH.
- Differentiated groupings enabling children to work on their PIVAT targets
- Regular welfare calls to families
- Screen Free Friday – a screen free afternoon enabling families to concentrate on activities that support positive mental health
In addition, we have provided families with resources to support their remote learning at home this could be, pencil grips, manipulatives to support with maths, overlays etc.
If you have any worries, concerns or questions regarding your child’s remote learning or SEN please contact our SEN team, Sarah Cox or your child’s class teacher at email: email@example.com or on 01472 328013