How do I contact the academy?

  1. Telephone: 01472 328013. If lines are busy or out of hours you can leave a message on our answerphone.
  2. Email – info@willowsacademy.org.uk

We use SchoolComms for sending text messages to parents. An app is available for parents to download – please contact the academy for more details.

The office is staffed from 8:00 until 16:00 every day. You can also leave a message on the answerphone.

What do I do if my child is absent from school?

Please telephone 01472 328013 to report absence, before 8.40am on the first day of absence.

Please contact the academy on each day of absence. 

What do I do if my child is late to school?

If your child is late for school, even by a few minutes, it is vital that you go to the School Office and sign your child in.  This is not just so that we can monitor punctuality, but is essential for fire safety and security.

What do I do if my child has a medical appointment during the school day?

Wherever possible, appointments should be made outside of school hours. However, where this is not possible, please inform the academy in advance of the appointment. This can be via a letter or telephone call. You will also need to provide a copy of the appointment card/letter. You will then need to collect your child from the main office at the allocated time. 

What do I do if my child needs to take medication during the school day?

School staff can give only administer medication prescribed by a doctor and only if it is prescribed by a doctor. Please bring medicines to the office where you will be asked to complete a medicine administration permission form.

Longer term or more complex medical conditions will require a Health Care Plan to be completed. Please contact the academy to arrange a meeting. 

What do I do if my child has an injury (eg a broken/ fractured limb) and will need additional assistance in school?

Please contact the academy and we will arrange a meeting to assess your child’s needs and put any necessary support and risk assessments in place. 

What do I do if my child needs time off during term time for exceptional circumstances?

Please complete a Leave of Absence form (available from the main office or from the Attendance page of the website) and send it with supporting evidence to the Head of Academy.

Can I take my child out of school for a holiday during term time?

No holiday will be authorised during term time unless it meets the exceptional circumstances specified by the DfE. Any absences (other than through illness) will be recorded as unauthorised and you may incur a fixed penalty fine and risk your child losing their place at our school. 

How will I be informed if there is an enforced school closure?

We use the SchoolComms app to contact all parents; please ensure you keep your account updated with current email addresses and contact numbers. You can also check our website for updates or Compass FM, BBC Radio Humberside and Lincs FM. 

How do I pay for school dinners, visits etc?

The Academy have recently started to use ParentPay. If you need any support using this system please contact the Academy office and they will help you to get started. 

Can I send my child with a packed lunch?

Of course. We strongly encourage healthy choices in lunch boxes. No fizzy drinks or glass bottles please. As part of our aim to reduce plastics, please try and keep these to a minimum.

What is the school uniform?

School uniform is black or grey trousers or skirt/pinafore dress, with a white polo shirt. Jumpers, sweatshirts or cardigans are blue and can have the academy logo on them. Blue checked dresses may be worn. Black school shoes are required, and we ask that children wear hair bows in line with academy colours of blue or white.

PE kit is blue shorts with a blue t-shirt. No football shirts are to be worn. Trainers are also essential for PE activities.

During the colder months, you may wish to send an appropriate outdoor PE kit for your child.

Please ensure that all clothes, including outdoor coats, and shoes belonging to your child are clearly named.

Where can I buy uniform?

Uniform can be purchased from Uniform Direct.

Unbranded uniform can be purchased from other outlets as long as it is the correct colours – see uniform page in the ‘Information’ section.

What if I need to speak to my child’s teacher or a senior member of staff?

Teachers are normally available for brief enquiries after school -please only speak to teachers at the start of the school day if it is an urgent matter as this delays the start of learning for all the children in that class. If you need a longer appointment, please contact your child's teacher or the office staff, who will be happy to arrange this for you, or alternatively will arrange an appointment with Mrs Cox, the Head of Academy, or Mrs Isle, the Assistant Principal, if this is required.

I wish to speak to a member of staff about a safeguarding issue Who do I speak to?

In the first instance, ask to speak to our designated safeguarding officer, Mrs Isle or a member of the team which includes Mrs Cox and Miss Harrison. 

All conversations will be dealt with in the strictest confidence. 

Do I have to pre-book breakfast club?

No, your child can pay on the day. It costs £1 per day and more information on breakfast club can be found in the parents section of this website.

Can my child attend any after-school club?

All places at after school clubs are allocated and you will be informed by letter if your child has a place. If for any reason a club has to be cancelled, you will be informed by text the Friday before wherever possible. However, this is not always possible due to teacher illness or other unforseen circumstances, but we will try and give you as much notice as possible. Could you inform the school office or the adult that runs the club in the morning if your child is unable to attend that day?

What if somebody different is collecting my child?

Every year, you are asked to complete a form so that we know whether your child is walking home or is being collected at the end of the day. If your child is collected, you are asked to put down the names of the people who will collect. Due to safeguarding, you must inform your child’s class teacher in the morning if somebody different is collecting your child. If it is a last-minute situation, you must ring school on 01472 328013. We will not let your child go with somebody that we do not know if you have not informed us. Please note, we expect all children up to and including Y2 to be collected by an adult or a sensible older sibling.

Does my child need a bag?

Yes, we would say a bag would be useful for all children here at the academy. Children are often given homework and will also have a reading book. Letters and newsletters are frequent also.

How can I help my child at home?

Reading at home with your child is so important, share a book together, listen to them read their school book or RWI book. Then ask questions about the story to help their understanding so questions such as 'Why do you think he/she did that?" "What would you do if that happened to you?" "Where is the story set and how can you tell?" "Which bit did you like best and why?" "Was there anything you didn't like and why?" There are more examples in the cover of your child's reading record book.

If your child has been given a list of spellings to practise, test them and test them using varying orders. Your child may also have number bonds or times tables to learn too.

The children all have a SeeSaw account, teachers are able to set children work on there and give the childrn feedback on that work. Homework projects are given to our pupils and help with those is greatly appreciated.The children also use Timestables Rockstars, this is a great app and children can have tournaments against each other!

Can my child change their reading book every day?

Children are encouraged to read their reading book more than once to help with fluency and understanding. If your child reads every day and you write a note in the reading record book they can change their book more often than once a week. Please speak to child's teacher if you think your child has had the same book for too long.

Why do I have a letter concerning my child's attendance?

We appreciate that there will be times when a child is too ill to come to school and as a result this can affect attendance. If your child's attendance drops below 97% we are obliged to inform you of an attendance concern. If attendance continues to drop we would ask for support from Mr Forrester, ourEducational Welfare Officer. 95% attendance although sounds good, still means your child has missed 2 weeks of the year of valuable learning time. We aim for the government target of 96% for all our pupils.

I am having trouble with my child's behaviour at home and feel like I need some support.

Our Pastoral Lead, Miss Harrison would be happy to help. She is a highly skilled member of our staff who can support families with issues such as behaviour, sleep, toileting, emotional and mental needs. She also has contact with a lot of external agencies who can provide additional help if needs be. You can also speak to your child's class teacher or Mrs Cox for advice.

I have concerns about the behaviour of another child and it is affecting my child. What do I do?

Come and talk with us. Your child's class teacher and Mrs Cox or Mrs Isle would ensure that any concerns are listened to, acted on and supported. 

My child currently attends nursery, but Willows Academy is not our catchment school. Am I able to apply for a reception place at Willows instead?

Yes of course, the choice of reception school is totally yours. On the council admission form please put us as your first choice of school. As long as we have enough available places we would endeavour to support children and their families no matter of where they live.

How do I find out how well my child is doing at school?

Parents’ evenings are held twice a year for each class where you will be able to make appointments to meet with teachers and a meeting is held in summer to discuss your child's report.  If you would like a meeting at any other time, please arrange this directly with your class teacher. We also hold regular open classroom events – please see the newsletter for details.

Parents of pupils with Special, Educational Needs and Disabilities (SEND) will be invited to meet with the class teacher, and SENCo if required, to review your child’s progress towards their targets as identified by their class teacher.

I require disabled access. Where should I go?

Disabled access is available throughout the the academy, with a disable access door available at the main office.  If you require assistance, just ask when you buzz the intercom. A member of the office staff will be happy to help. 

There is a family emergency. What should I do?

Please get in touch. We will support families as much as we can. 

I want my child to come to Willows Academy. What should I do?

School transfer forms are available on the North east Lincs council website. Admissions are dealt with by the council, not the academy. Feel free to book an appointment to look round if you are thinking of sending you chiild to Willows

How does the academy communicate with parents?

The website is updated regularly. We send newsletters, we text and tweet.

We do not use FaceBook.  

If you have any questions or queries please come to see us please don't hesitate to get in touch.